Monday, November 28, 2011

Good news! And Spinach and Cottage Cheese Omelet

Healthy eating is paying off! I don’t know yet about my cholesterol, but I’ve made a big dent in my blood pressure. My systolic blood pressure is still high at 140, but I’ve brought my diastolic blood pressure down a full ten points from 90 to 80!

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I loved starting my day with a big plate of hash browns, pancakes, cheese grits or copiously buttered cream of wheat with about two or three eggs and a pile of bacon. I can’t do that anymore, but that doesn’t have to mean the end of healthy, tasty breakfasts.

I’ve always loved omelets, so I decided to try a healthy version with Eggbeaters, cottage cheese and spinach. First, I sautéed a couple cloves of minced garlic and a cup of spinach leaves (packed) in olive oil until the spinach leaves wilted. I then poured two eggs worth of Eggbeaters on top of the spinach and garlic. When the Eggbeaters started to set, I added a quarter of a cup of low fat cottage cheese. I let the cheese heat through and get a little gooey before I folded the omelet over. I garnished it with a “bread mix,” which is pre-mixed herbs and grated parmesan that can be combined with olive oil to make a tasty bread dip, but regular grated parmesan alone would also make a great garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment